Friday 10 February 2012

My take on Jyoti Arora's Dream's Sake



Dream's Sake by Jyoti Arora



I never developed a taste for books that tell love stories.  I can justify that lack of preference to more than one reason. To an extent because I never read any; possibly because I always thought the Mills & the Boons stuff was supposedly written for and read by the fairer sex; partly because I suspect that a book based on love story, unless very extra-ordinary would find immensely challenging to gain a place on the front shelf in book stores; and most definitely because I am sincerely convinced  that the intensity of the feelings and expression of emotions of two lovers, real or imaginary, can rarely be justified through text howsoever well-crafted unless the story is of his or her own love. Jyoti Arora has however, set me thinking! To be precise, she has set me to re-think and re-visit my reasons!

Jyoti kindly forwarded me an initialled copy of Dream’s Sake sometime in later part of November last year.  I promised her and myself that I will not only read it soon but also write a brief review and post it on my blog. Due to some prior commitments I could start reading the novel only this week. I finished reading it an hour ago and was compelled to write a review straight away.  That it was 3 am in the morning did not deter me. That in itself is an enormous endorsement of the book!

Yes Dream’s Sake is a love story. Fiction, I guess! The story itself is nothing extra-ordinary. Like any other love story, this story also has all the expected features and characteristics - happy moments, betrayal, tragedy, despair, revenge, hope, destiny, etc.  Sounds familiar? Well, Bollywood movies made around love stories comprise of most if not all of these facets. Yet Dream’s Sake seemed so different, fresh and innocent.

What definitely distinguishes Jyoti’s book from some of the other love stories I have read or seen is her ability to transport the reader so effectively to the virtual world of her own and the manner in which each central character of the book starts growing on you with each page turn.  Priyam, Abhi, Aashi, Sid, Raj all emerge as convincing characters. Almost real! The end came as a surprise to me though.  Her portrayal of half a dozen characters is subtle yet powerful, and the ability to convey feelings effortless which according to me, stands out as the most impressive facet of her writing.  Articulation of emotions through the multiple twists and turns is very persuasive and succeeds in invoking a variety of emotions.  I wouldn’t want to disclose its details. But without meaning to criticise the ending, I do wonder if it could have been different.  Why did she think of this kind of end? I hope to chat with her about it someday soon.

There is certain amount of simplicity and innocence about the way she writes which almost induces you to trust and accept what she writes. I liked her free flowing style combined with a selection of simple but suitable vocabulary.

Jyoti, you will go a long way!

I must compliment Pustak Mahal for having published Jyoti. I do wish the printing quality of the book was better as Jyoti and Dream’s Sake do deserve a far greater profiling!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the review and for expressing your belief in me. I sure do hope to go a long way :-) and your words have given me a very sweet confidence boost!

    ReplyDelete